What is happening to String Thongs?

indyfan25

Anybody notice that Aerie has completely gotten rid of string thongs or thongs that appear more sexy? They really just have wide lace thongs, wide cotton thongs, and guy underwear waistband cotton thongs. They have also moved thongs to third on the list of available "undies" Options where it used to be first. I think this is trying to distance from VS that has V Strings/Thongs as the first option for panties.

Is this because with their Real Campaign they are trying to distance themselves away from sexier underwear? That was my guess that if they have string thongs then they are like VS and they want to be the opposite of VS. Aerie had such great string thongs though and the triangle in the back which brings me to my next point.

Did anybody else notice that VS has also gotten rid of the Signature Cotton V String thong? Now it has white bands and a straight string in the back. String thongs look so much sexier with the triangle vs just a string in my opinion. My Wife has a bigger butt so if she is wearing just the string backs they get completely lost in her ass crack and it's like she isn't wearing a thong at all versus you can actually see the triangle.

Any ideas why this is happening?

willie44

I'm absolutely heartbroken over VS discontinuing the traditional v-string, most of my greatest whaletail sights/stories center around that style. Hopefully its a temporary thing and they eventually bring it back.....:(

clthong

I've noticed this too, if you go into most lingerie stores these days it's hard to find that style. You can always go to the Victoria's Secret website and send them an email suggestion to bring them back haha

K

kiyoothong

As a thonger myself, I can see why string thongs are in decline. They're just not that comfortable tbh. They ride up the butt

some guy

As a thonger myself, I can see why string thongs are in decline. They're just not that comfortable tbh. They ride up the butt

No but most women found the v-strings very comfortable. If you look at the reviews on the new v-string, most of the women are complaining and saying how much they loved the old v-string.

irthonger

Mod
I would say the same as kiyoothong. They might look good when they peek out of the back of jeans but I think the smaller waist band looks like it is cutting into the sides a bit too much. It makes you feel fat when you wear them even if you are not. There is a time and place for the smaller string side v back thongs. Most of the time it is nicer to have a larger waist band that doesn't cut into your sides and doesn't move around and just stays till and lays flat. I know my wife prefers the larger lace waistbands. they don't look the greatest IMO but they are what she thinks is the most comfortable.

Gbanger

My Wife has a bigger butt so if she is wearing just the string backs they get completely lost in her ass crack and it's like she isn't wearing a thong at all versus you can actually see the triangle.

Not sure what you are getting at. Gonna have to see some photographic evidence to truly understand. :p

Disagreed. Thongs ride up the butt too and everybody still wears them. I think irthonger is correct in that most women don't like how the waist bands cut into their sides, leave lines, etc. Also, it seem like g-strings are a lot harder to pull off and look flattering. By contrast, every woman looks amazing in a classic thong. It's impossible not to look/feel great in one. Finally, I think Aerie is just marketing themselves more as a frumpy brand. To me, they've always seemed to promote themselves as an "anti-buttfloss" alternative when it comes to underwear. I'm surprised it took this long for them to start phasing out their strings. Must have been selling too well.

K

kiyoothong

But I must say string thongs feel more like butt-floss. They rub against your butt-hole.

thongsthongsthongs

I actually saw a girl wearing the signature VS v-string thong earlier this year at school. Pretty great to see since it was the first one i've seen in person since i wasnt in this community while those thongs were in style. Also great because she didn't seem like the type to wear thongs and she was wearing pretty high-waisted pants, but still had a whaletail.

some guy

As far as thong vs v-string comfort, it varies with individual. Lots of women find g-strings more comfortable because the string is less noticeable than a wider strap. It depends on the fabric, though. Any thong can be comfy or not depending on the fabric softness and quality.

some guy

^That's not the original v-string though. If you look at the reviews, you'll see most of them complaining about the quality. It doesn't even look the same. Doesn't have the triangle back.

cheesewiz

Oh yea, it even is called the NEW! V-String. My bad
Also, I know an exgf loved the PINK v-strings and those have been gone forever. Not sure what's up with that either

Last edited:
I have a couple of proper microfibre V-strings with no branding in gorgeous material and they are my favourite pairs of underwear. Personally,I find the T-Back strings the most comfortable as they have the least amount of material and look sexiest. I recently found these in a sale:

http://www.newlook.com/uk/womens-sale/3-pack-black-mesh-string-thongs/p/537109701

and bought a pack of each colour combination. The mesh is obviously see-through which is great and they are T-back but the material isn't as nice as the "satin" microfibre feel of the original VS V-strings. Still, a bargain and worthy addition to my collection.

Kelsey1986

I miss the vstrings. They were the first I saw and first I wore. The little triangle in the back is what made them so sexy!