Thongs in different countries and cultures

morbidvoy

I am from Malaysia. Thongs are almost non existent there. Women walk around with VPL. They either don't know it or know it but don't care it's showing. I have moved to Australia and it's the total opposite. Almost all ladies wear thongs!

dapotatoman23

Shouldn't thongs cost less than bigger underwear, because it has less material?

Of course if we're comparing designer brand thongs to cheap cotton panties, that's not a fair comparison. If you compare within the same brand, thongs are cheaper.
This is actually very interesting, since thongs can cost the same or more compared to regular panties. Even though it uses less material, it can be pricier to manufacture due to the shape of the back since the curve apparently requires more precision to line correctly and thus is more time consuming. There’s also the fact that there’s more fabric loss during the cutting of the material into the panty pattern shape with thongs compared to briefs.

Teamcooper

Does anyone notice a difference between states/ counties where you are?
I went to see a friend recently who lives about 3 hours away from me. We sat in the window of a restaurant and almost every girl who walked past I could see viable thong lines or could just tell they were wearing one.
That ratio would be at least half where I live. Not a massive difference in terms of geography but what an afternoon!

thongsthongsthongs

I went to Ecuador and Mexico a little while ago, didn't see a single thong and lots of panty lines. Although, there were plenty of thong bikinis on the beaches. I still feel like thongs are more "party" underwear or for bikinis to many Latin American women, and that more comfortable panties are worn daily, but I'm sure there's still plenty of women, especially younger, who wear thongs. There seemed to be a lot of higher waisted pants too, which makes it hard to tell.

kimmythong

Mod
I am in Canada, and I have been seeing a lot of thongs on girls lately. Thongs on the beach, thongs at the pool, thongs at the gym, thongs in public. I feel like it's hard to find swimsuits with full back coverage, and these days most women's swimsuits are made to show some ass.

Also fashion-wise, women in Canada are getting bold and it seems like they're not too concerned about panty lines anymore. I have been seeing a lot of VTLs through dresses and trouser pants lately.

My views on thongs in Scandinavia:

I live in Denmark, but have spent a lot of time across Scandinavia, and I can confirm what some have already pointed out. Ever since the early 2000s, thongs remain popular here, though the prominence of whale-tails have suffered due to the decline of low rise pants. But there's definitely a big need for anti-vpl panties, since gym leggings and otherwise tight sitting pants are everywhere. What's somewhat new is that thongs have also made their way onto our beaches and anywhere else people go swimming in the summer, such as the harbour promenade areas in the main cities, like Copenhagen and Oslo. 10-12 years back, this really wasn't a thing. I think it probably came with the Instagram age, and at first it seemed reserved for uncommonly hot 20-something year olds, but has now caught on completely. You'll see anyone wearing them now, from teens to nerdy girls and moms in their forties. On some days, it seems to be just as common as any other type of bikini.

Denmark has always had a casual relationship to nudity and toplessness on beaches, so I'm not sure people notice or care very much about the shift in fashion. Norwegians strike me as a little bit more nosy on the whole, and there definitely used to be a negative attitude about thongs on beaches, at least from people who cared enough to discuss it. But now I think the common view is that it's no big deal, and that it's not looked upon as inappropriate or tacky, which helps explain why people of all sorts are wearing them now.

I don't pay attention to Swedish media, so I don't have an impression of what the view is there, but thongs are definitely common enough to be a guaranteed sighting if you go somewhere central to swim or sunbathe.

Furthermore, I've very rarely been exposed to the view that thongs "aren't for everyone" or that they're uncomfortable, here. I think most women in Scandinavia appreciate the practical value of thongs above all else. Even my 50+ year old aunt wears them when she goes to the gym, and it's no big deal for her to mention it. I could be wrong, but I can't actually remember a time where thongs were associated with being sexy, like in some conservative cultures. At best they were considered the girliest type of underwear, always popular with the younger generations, and perhaps something to grow out of. While I've seen some "thongs are out" articles on the web, it has not rung true so far. :unsure::D

Joe9099

I was at Barry Island in Wales a few weeks ago and the valley girls seem to like swimming yh their clothes whether trousers, jeans, skirts, or whatever. Whole families, the beach was packed with this interesting hobby! But the great thing is that when they get wet, jeans get heavier and start to fall down. I saw so many things that weekend it was unreal. Again families showing whaletials, I even saw a few girls straight out of school their uniform micro skirts low enough to show their thong. Remember BARRY ISLAND.

Just got back from Japan and the girls in the US dress 1000 times sluttier its kindof jarring , however plenty of business attire and elegant atire had VTLs which was great. In America girls love leggings and workout sports bras and tight dresses that go way above the knee with no straps etc.

As someone said, the usefulness of anti- VPL panties like thongs keep them in heavy rotation even when the woman doesnt want to dress "slutty", its quite amazing.

kimmythong

Mod
Just got back from Japan and the girls in the US dress 1000 times sluttier its kindof jarring , however plenty of business attire and elegant atire had VTLs which was great. In America girls love leggings and workout sports bras and tight dresses that go way above the knee with no straps etc.

As someone said, the usefulness of anti- VPL panties like thongs keep them in heavy rotation even when the woman doesnt want to dress "slutty", its quite amazing.

How do Japanese people dress? I am not Japanese so I might be wrong here, but I think most Japanese girls go for the cute 'kawaii' look. Calling a girl cute is the biggest compliment you can give to a Japanese girl.

thongsthongsthongs

How do Japanese people dress? I am not Japanese so I might be wrong here, but I think most Japanese girls go for the cute 'kawaii' look. Calling a girl cute is the biggest compliment you can give to a Japanese girl.
There was a big trend of low-rise jeans in the 2000s, but it has returned to mostly modest dressing for the most part. There's a lot of flowy dresses and skirts, but shorts are often worn underneath. Japanese street fashion has mostly trended towards floaty, loose clothing now, with little chances for whaletails or slips. As Japan becomes more and more westernized, thongs are more accepted than they were decades ago, though there are still stigmas attached to them, mostly in the older generations. I feel like the younger generation is moving away from this, and they may be more likely to be wearing thongs. I haven't been back to Japan for a long time, so I can't say for sure, but I grew up around a lot of Japanese people and lived in Japan for short periods of time. I imagine it's similar to the rise of thongs in South Korea as well over the past few decades.

bigrat

Happy to hear that thongs are on the rise in Japan. I had no clue. I was in an absolute shock this summer when there were VTLs from some of the japanese players in the women's fifa world cup. Never expected it tbh.

kimmythong

Mod
Is there anyone with a Middle Eastern background? I live in Montreal and there are quite a few North African and Lebanese immigrants in Montreal. I go to school here and there are some hot Middle Eastern/Moroccan girls at my school. I wonder if they are open to thongs. A lot of them dress conservatively, but there are some open minded Middle Eastern girls with some Western influence.

Is there anyone with a Middle Eastern background? I live in Montreal and there are quite a few North African and Lebanese immigrants in Montreal. I go to school here and there are some hot Middle Eastern/Moroccan girls at my school. I wonder if they are open to thongs. A lot of them dress conservatively, but there are some open minded Middle Eastern girls with some Western influence.

Very interesting question my friend, I am not middle eastern (I'm black) but I used to live near Detroit michigan, right on the canadian border actually, you can see windsor from the city. If you did not know, southeast michigan is home to maybe the largest concentration of of middle eastern people in the entire USA, especially those of islamic descent.

I went to college in this area and learned many many things and met many people from Yemen, Saudi Arabia, Morocco, Egypt, etc etc. First there are many girls that wear the hijab but overcompensate with tight clothing and massive amounts of makeup. Whale tails on these girls are uncommon due to excessive clothing but VTLs and VPLs definitely are common (reminds of some stories I mean to share in the story forum). Some even like to wear lingerie under their clothes to feel better. These girls honestly hate being stuck between two very different cultural standards of dress and press the boundaries all the time (makes them crazy lol). Many of these girls we refer to as MINOs , muslim in name only, because theylike to party, like to hookup outside their culture, love oral and anal though they do not like vaginal sex for social reasons to maintain some level of virginity, conversational virginity.

On the other-hand there are many Chaldean girls also, which are more like christians and heavily westernized. These women have amazing bodies, wide hips, thick thighs, small waist, love to dress elegantly and love to wear thongs. With Chaldean girls all things are possible. There are many moroccan girls also but they have a poor reputation because of their hygiene standards, very different than in the west. For instance many girls will not wash correctly during their periods, I have seen this first hand but I have seen good examples too, it is a stereotype to some extent.

so yes just in my experience, middle eastern girls with really strong cultural boundaries still love to wear thongs!

Didnt realize you asked this, just now seeing. In america is kinda depends but in japan they don't dress anything like the women we have in the US, they make the women here look super slutty. Girls in japan like to wear actual dresses and modernized kimonos. Very conservative but also stylish. The hottest girls there make you think they are beautiful as opposed to just pure sexy. Like when I was there I saw an american tourist lady wearing a sports bra and workout leggings and sun-glasses, shit you see everywhere here. She looked hot as fuck, her body was amazing, but she looked entirely out of place, like a tourist. Either women were wearing business clothes, which they look good in, or elegant conservative outfits. Obviously plenty in regular jeans and tshirts but in america, whether they realize or not, SEX and sexiness is a huge part of style now so the american version of anything will be 10 times sluttier

Last edited:

kimmythong

Mod
Anyone know what it's like in the Philippines? I have a few Filipina friends whose parents are devout Catholics. So, their underwear choice while growing up was quite limited. Even today, they only wear full back briefs even though they've got some ass.

But then, I follow this Youtuber who is based in the Philippines, and he tells me that Pinay girls are quite open minded. Tbh, I don't know what he does, but he had a few models working for him. He is no longer active on Youtube, but here is a short video of his Pinay models on his Youtube channel.

shortround

I've lived along the coastal part of southern California my entire life and a lot of girls have been wearing thongs since the late 90s to present. Since the start of the instagram era, you start to see more and more girls wearing thong bikinis at the beach. It's almost gotten to the point where I'm desensitized to seeing them, but every now and then I still appreciate seeing them and get amazed (mostly when the girl is in excellent shape). I hope one day I can start saying the same about men in thongs. We'll see